BEAUJOLAIS / EVERYDAY PAIRINGS
THAI BEEF LETTUCE WRAPS
1lb lean ground beef
1 small yellow onion (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
6 green onions (trimmed, sliced diagonally)
0.5 cup basil (chopped)
0.5 cup mint (chopped)
3 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (crushed, or to taste)
Juice of 1 lime
0.25 cup cilantro (chopped)
18 large peanuts (chopped)
18 large iceberg or Boston lettuce leaves (washed, patted dry)
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet, breaking up meat as it cooks, about two minutes.
- Toward end of browning, add yellow onion. Cook five minutes. Add garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
- Remove meat mixture from skillet, drain off fat. Put cooked meat in serving bowl. Add green onions, basil, mint, fish sauce, red pepper flakes and lime juice.
- Stir to blend. Garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
- Spoon meat onto lettuce leaves, wrapping burrito-style. Serve with white rice sprinkled with black or toasted white sesame seeds.
Wine pairing: Bill St. John, wine writer at the Chicago Tribune, recommends pairing this delicious dish with a 2009 Côte de Brouilly.